20,000 Leagues Under the Airport


Yes, my friends, it’s been a long time, hasn’t it? So much has been going on in our lives that I’ve barely had time to breathe, let alone slow down and post something. Hopefully, in about 3 more weeks, life will resume a more normal pace. Yesterday, 10/15, marked the seventh straight week that I’ve either been engaged in moving into a house we bought (1 weekend) or traveling (6 weekends). And I still have 3 more weeks before it will fully come to an end until January. I’m ready to sit still!

On Saturday, I was flying back to Atlanta from Syracuse, NY. Syracuse is a fairly small airport, so I had to catch a regional jet from Syracuse to Detroit, then get on a bigger plane to fly to Atlanta. Our flight arrived in terminal C in Detroit, and my connecting flight left from terminal A, so I had to get from terminal C to terminal A. Part of that trek included passing through an  underground tunnel. There were long banks of lighted panels that ran along both sides of the tunnel and they would sometime change colors and patterns. I thought it was pretty so I snapped this shot with my cell phone. I felt like I was traversing through a long tube under the sea.

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY: in 1991, George Jo Hennard drove his truck through a window in Luby’s Cafeteria in Kileen, Texas, and then opened fire on a lunch crowd of over 100 people, killing 23 and injuring 20 more. Hennard then turned the gun on himself and committed suicide. The incident was one of the deadliest shootings in U.S. history.

The rampage at the Central Texas restaurant began at approximately 12:45 p.m. and lasted about 15 minutes. Witnesses reported that the 35-year-old gunman moved methodically through the large crowd, shooting people randomly and reloading his weapon several times. Hennard, of nearby Belton, Texas, was shot several times by police before he committed suicide. No clear motive for his actions was ever determined.

In the aftermath of the Luby’s massacre, Killeen residents urged officials at Luby’s corporate headquarters to let the restaurant re-open so people wouldn’t lose their jobs. Five months after the shootings, the cafeteria was back in business and stayed open for nine more years before permanently shutting its doors in September 2000. Another outcome of the Luby’s massacre was that in 1995 the Texas legislature passed a law allowing residents with gun permits to carry concealed weapons. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, who was at Luby’s with her parents on the day of the massacre and watched as they were murdered, was instrumental in getting the law passed.

TRIVIA FOR TODAY: Due to jobs, kids, TV, the Internet, hobbies, and home and family responsibilities, the average married couple spends just four minutes a day alone together.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s