O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

…thy whipped cream is so lovely!!!!

Still on the road (for about 2-1/2 more days), so another short post tonight.  At the recent office open house, I noticed the white Christmas tree decorations that were sitting on the counter and found it interesting that standing right next to the glass tree was this bottle of Redi-Whip.  It was pretending to be a Christmas tree, too, I think.  After all, who knows what dreams lurk in the hearts of cans of Redi-Whip?  I suspect that they never started out their existence planning on being a container for white, frothy stuff.  Certainly no self-respecting can of Redi-Whip would begin life that way.  As for me, I think they dream of being Christmas trees.  What do you think they dream of?

_MG_8029ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY: on this day in 1864,Union General William T. Sherman completed his March to the Sea when he arrived in front of Savannah, Georgia.

Since mid-November of that year, Sherman’s army had been sweeping from Atlanta across the state to the south and east towards Savannah, one of the last Confederate seaports still unoccupied by Union forces. Along the way, Sherman destroyed farms and railroads, burned storehouses, and fed his army off the land. In his own words, Sherman intended to “make Georgia howl,” a plan that was approved by President Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant, general-in-chief of the Union armies.

The city of Savannah was fortified and defended by some 10,000 Confederates under the command of General William Hardee. The Rebels flooded the rice fields around Savannah, so only a few narrow causeways provided access to the city. Sherman’s army was running low on supplies and he had not made contact with supply ships off the coast. His army had been completely cut off from the North, and only the reports of destruction provided any evidence of its whereabouts. Sherman directed General Oliver O. Howard to the coast to locate friendly ships. Howard dispatched Captain William Duncan and two comrades to contact the Union fleet, but nothing was heard of the trio for several days. Duncan located a Union gunboat that carried him to Hilton Head, South Carolina. Supply ships were sent to Savannah, and Duncan continued on to Washington, D.C., to deliver news of the successful March to the Sea to Secretary of War Edwin Stanton.

For ten days, Hardee held out as Sherman prepared for an attack. Realizing the futility of the situation, Hardee fled the city on December 20 and slipped northward to fight another day.

TRIVIA FOR TODAY:  The name of the first airplane flown at Kitty Hawk by the Wright Brothers, on December 17, 1903, was “Flyer.” The maiden flight of Flyer, however, was less than a flight — the plane stayed in the air only 12 seconds. The brothers flew three more times that day, with their final flight covering 852 feet in 59 seconds.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s