Motivational Speakers

Motivational speaking.  Now there’s an interesting way to make money, don’t you think?  I mean, where do you go to study how to be a motivational speaker?  I’ve never heard of a college major of “speaking motivationally”.  I doubt that there is such a think.  So, my guess is that to become a motivation speaker there are several pre-requisites:

1. You must have done something that has made you somewhat of a household name, whether in the sports, business, entertainment or political world;

2. You must have a lot of chutzpah to bill yourself as a motivational speaker.  What if you’re no good at it?  Would you then label yourself as an “unmotivational speaker” for the rest of your life?

3. You must believe you have something worth saying – but even more, something that is worth hearing.  Otherwise you could stand on a stage and play a kazoo!

So, what motivates someone to become a motivational speaker?  Is it the fame?  It is because you can sit around all day looking up motivational sayings and then incorporate them into a speech that would make everyone change instantly?  Is it the life of glamorous travel?

Nah, I don’t think it’s any of that stuff.  I’m sure that there are some that really love what they do…and may the good Lord bless them!  You know what I think motivates most motivational speakers?  M-O-N-E-Y!!!!!

A Google search said that Donald Trump was the highest paid motivational speaker on record, being paid $1MM – $1.5MM per 30-minute speech as part of a 17 speech series he was to deliver back in 2006-2007.  No wonder the man is rich!  And, reportedly, people say that it was worth every penny!

Next on the list was Ronald Reagan at $1MM a pop for two speeches he made in Japan back in 1989.

So, I guess it’s not a bad gig if you can get it.  Today’s photo is about “motivational speaking” in a sense.  It’s one of those signs I shot a picture of that I thought was too good to not share.  Pardon the one bad word – I typically wouldn’t say such a thing myself…but try to get past it and see the humor in this, OK?  I’m motivated to if you are!

_MG_7423ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY: in 1974, 28-year-old Karen Silkwood was killed in a car accident near Crescent, north of Oklahoma City. Silkwood worked as a technician at a plutonium plant operated by the Kerr-McGee Corporation, and she had been critical of the plant’s health and safety procedures. In September, she had complained to the Atomic Energy Commission about unsafe conditions at the plant (a week before her death, plant monitors had found that she was contaminated with radioactivity herself), and the night she died, she was on her way to a meeting with a union representative and a reporter for The New York Times, reportedly with a folder full of documents that proved that Kerr-McGee was acting negligently when it came to worker safety at the plant. However, no such folder was found in the wreckage of her car, lending credence to the theory that someone had forced her off the road to prevent her from telling what she knew.

On the night of November 5, Silkwood was polishing plutonium pellets that would be used to make fuel rods for a “breeder reactor” nuclear-power plant. At about 6:30 P.M., an alpha detector mounted on her glove box (the piece of equipment that was supposed to protect her from exposure to radioactive materials) went off: According to the machine, her right arm was covered in plutonium. Further tests revealed that the plutonium had come from the inside of her gloves—that is, the part of her gloves that was only in contact with her hands, not the pellets. Plant doctors monitored her for the next few days, and what they found was quite unusual: Silkwood’s urine and feces samples were heavily contaminated with radioactivity, as was the apartment she shared with another plant worker, but no one could say why or how that “alpha activity” had gotten there. (In fact, measurements after her death indicated that Silkwood had ingested the plutonium somehow; again, no one could say how or why.)

After work on November 13, Silkwood went to a union meeting before heading home in her white Honda. Soon, police were summoned to the scene of an accident along Oklahoma’s State Highway 74: Silkwood had somehow crashed into a concrete culvert. She was dead by the time help arrived. An autopsy revealed that she had taken a large dose of Quaaludes before she died, which would likely have made her doze off at the wheel; however, an accident investigator found skid marks and a suspicious dent in the Honda’s rear bumper, indicating that a second car had forced Silkwood off the road.

Silkwood’s father sued Kerr-McGee, and the company eventually settled for $1.3 million, minus legal fees. Kerr-McGee closed its Crescent plant in 1979.

TRIVIA FOR TODAY: A perfectly clean fire produces almost no smoke. Smoke simply means that a fire is not burning properly and that bits of unburned material are escaping.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s